All wrapped up

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The past few weeks have been a bit hectic for me. My team teacher has been sick and I've found myself with some extra work on my plate. Although it has been tough, I've tried not to let it frazzle me. I know that it is shaping my character.

Thursday afternoon I finished with dismissal and headed in to the teachers' lounge to check my voicemail and mailbox. I was curious to note that there was a small brown package sitting on the counter. Now, I knew that the package wasn't for me, as I hadn't sent away for anything, and so as I drew closer I began to envy, slightly, the recipient of the package.

As I reached into my mailbox, retrieving the "To Office" folder and a set of transparencies that I'd asked the secretary to make, I glanced down at the package and was startled to see that it was addressed to me! I tried to temper my joy, reminding myself that I hadn't ordered anything. After all, it was probably just a bunch of brochures or fire safety booklets to pass out to my students.

Picking up the box, I realized that it was slightly heavy. My mind calculated the weight of brochures and told me that this was far to weighty to be something so common.

I headed up to my classroom, wondering, as I walked the 3 flights of stairs, just what could be in the package.

When I got into my room, I carefully placed the package on my desk, hung up my coat, and put my dismissal binder away. At last it was time to find out what was in the box.

I sliced open the packing tape, brushing away the packing peanuts, and found a glossy card with a big "Thank You" printed on the front. I opened it up and found a sweet note from my team teacher, thanking me for all of my help over the last few weeks.

This beautiful card would have been more than enough, but there was something hiding deeper in the box. Reaching in, I pulled out white box with a silky, red ribbon. Inside, I found two dozen gourmet cookies!

It was an unexpected delight. What a delicious way to make someone feel loved!

0 comments: