Prayer

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Do I believe in the power of prayer?
I thought that the answer to this question was easy. Of course I do. I've prayed my entire life for a multitude of reasons. It has always seemed to come pretty easily.

Lately, though, I've begun to think a little harder on the subject.

My husband and I joined a small group (Bible study) for parents. The only details I knew, or really cared about, when signing up was that it was for parents and it would meet in the same town on the same night as my son's small group.

I was pleasantly surprised to find, after being contacted by the leaders of the group, that the study would be on The Power of a Praying Parent. I already had the book. I'd bought it soon after my husband and I married. Had I read it? No... I'd started, but then life happened. Doesn't life always seem to get in the way?

So Kev and I began the book. The chapters are short and are followed by a sample prayer and verses. Some are on topics that I've considered, and some have never before even crossed my mind, but I've found that I have prayed on very few of the topics.

Why? Why wouldn't I pray for my children, for my husband, for my marriage in earnest? If I truly believe in the power of prayer, why haven't I used it as the biggest tool in my arsenal? What am I waiting for?

0 comments: