I Believe in Magic

Monday, September 7, 2009

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water.” Loren Eiseley

This weekend I sat and watched my daughter swim. She loves to paddled herself around the pool, wearing her swimmie-wings. I had planned to get in, too, but when I checked the thermometer and saw that the water was only 74 degrees, I only got in up to my tootsies.

As I sat on the ladder, dangling my feet in the the pool, I reflected on the magic that is water. I truly believe that water has the ability to heal. When I was 8 and 9 months pregnant with Sophie, I took a water aerobics class. All week long my body would ache. I would feel the pull in the muscles as my belly grew heavier with my baby girl. By Thursday afternoon, I would be questioning whether I could actually survive through Friday. But Thursday night, I would experience the miracle of water aerobics. Suddenly, my body didn't ache. The effects would carry me through until the following Thursday.

I felt sort of melancholy sitting there. I realized that I needed some magic to carry me through until autumn began to charm me with her beautiful colors.

Tune in tomorrow to see the end-of-summer party that I orchestrated to be the bit of magic that I needed.

0 comments: