Taking Time

Sunday, July 21, 2013

I love the freedom that vacation gives my mind.  I'm freshly back from a week at the beach.  Without the constant pull of the "must do" list of every day life, I found my mind refreshed.

I came to a mini epiphany while I soaked in the sun's light.  It was this: we are worth extra time and effort.

On the surface it may sound like a selfish statement, but I assure you that it is not.  I am guilty, as so many moms are, of pushing off my own needs to take care of the needs of others.  I cannot tell you how many times I've just felt completely used up because I've given all of myself away.

It was in the quiet moments when the only decision I had to make was whether to sunbathe or swim that I was given the clarity to ponder my self worth.  When I choose to take care of myself, I really am taking care of my family.  If I pour out all of me to bless them without taking time for myself, there is less of me to go around.  When I take time for me, even if it's just a few minutes here or there, I feel better, lighter, more willing to serve.  And that's when I can really be a blessing.

Starting today, I resolve to treat myself better.  I know that this will look differently each day, but I think the result will be the same; I will be happier, healthier, and more able to be the mother, wife, daughter, and friend that I want to be.


0 comments: